As much as writing can be an intuitive practice, fuelled by the desire to tell a story, quite often the creative juice runs out and help with the writing flow is required. Here at The Pen Shop, we are keen to encourage the writing process, so have come up with our top five tips to help propel your creativity:
1. Live life. What is there to write about, if you forget to live? The best stories and writing evolve from experience. We would urge you to put down your pen, temporarily at least, and spend some time travelling and have an adventure. You don’t need to travel far to meet new people and experience something new. Do something different.
2. Read. A good source of inspiration comes from reading others’ work. You can pick up and learn from other writers’ styles, without following them exactly of course. You may notice things you hadn’t seen before, such as content ideas, tone of voice and choice of words.
3. Join a writing group. There are many local groups, easily found through a quick internet search. You will meet other like-minded people and learn together. A regular writing group is also the opportunity for a social night out!
4. Browse the internet. The internet is a wonderful tool, giving us access to millions of pages of information. Start a search and hours later you have floated around the world wide web, picking up a multitude of information with ideas for short stories and grammatical assistance.
5. Finally, of course we would suggest investing in a writing instrument that you are going to look forward to using. The Pen Shop offer a selection of pens in a variety of styles and to meet a range of budgets.